This eggless flourless chocolate cake is ridiculously rich and decadent, perfect for any chocolate lover in your life!
I've always been intrigued by the idea of making my own flourless chocolate cake. For one thing, it's a great dessert option for those who are following a gluten free diet. And also, it's delicious. And those are all the reasons I need, really 😉
I tackled this flourless chocolate cake a few different times before nailing the recipe. The challenging part is making this without eggs, since that tends to be the one ingredient that helps give a cake like this its structure -- which is why we use applesauce in my flourless cake.
Another trick I learned in the process is that this sets up really nicely and tastes better if you leave it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours after it has cooled.
A couple of failed attempts later, I ended up with this recipe right here. And I think you'll be thrilled to see just how easy it is.
Note that because this cake doesn't have any leavening agents or eggs, it won't rise at all. It's thin but super rich and fudgy, so a small slice goes a LONG way.
Why You'll Love This Cake...
- It's a one-bowl recipe! All of the ingredients go in just one single, microwave-safe mixing bowl. And to that end: you don't need a mixer or any other equipment, other than your bowl and a rubber spatula.
- I absolutely love chocolate, and I think it goes without saying that this rich and fudgy cake is a chocolate lover's dream! And, by the way, if you ARE a chocolate lover... you have to try my chocolate mousse pie, too.
- This is a pretty impressive dessert to serve at a dinner party. You can top it with some fresh fruit, a dusting of powdered sugar or cocoa powder (like I did here), chocolate ganache or leave it plain.
What You'll Need...
- The chocolate: I use semi-sweet chocolate but feel free to use any chopped up chocolate you like! Plus we'll also be using cocoa powder.
- A bit more flavor: sugar, vanilla extract, salt.
- The egg substitute: unsweetened apple sauce is a must for this eggless recipe, plus Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer.
- The fat: a bit of unsalted butter.
How To Make...
First things first, add your chopped up chocolate and butter to a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 second intervals, stopping to stir between each interval. Keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't burn!
Once the chocolate and butter has melted and is completely smooth, simply add the rest of your ingredients to it and mix well using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
Pour the batter into a well-greased round cake pan and bake at 375ºF for around 30 minutes. You may see that the cake is still bubbling and might not seem done, but no need to be alarmed! It will set as it cools.
Once the cake has cooled completely, pop it into the refrigerator for a couple of hours. I highly recommend doing this, as it helps the cake set up so much better. I personally like to store any leftovers in the fridge, too.
Tips For Making The Best Flourless Chocolate Cake...
- Keep a close eye on that butter and chocolate when melting! All microwaves are different, so I recommend with 30 seconds first. Remove, stir, then pop it back in. Repeat as necessary.
- The chill time is crucial here! When you first take the cake out of the oven, it will likely be bubbling and seem like it's not ready. Resist the urge to over-bake! Trust me, as the cake cools in the pan, it will set. And as it sits in the refrigerator, it will set even more and you will be left with the ideal texture.
- To make this flourless chocolate cake vegan, simply swap in your favorite non-dairy butter. I haven't tested it but don't see why that won't work.
Did you make my flourless chocolate cake? Leave me a comment below or tag me on Instagram @justastastyblog and #justastastyblog!
Just As Tasty: Gluten-Free & Eggless Baking Through the Seasons
Be sure to check out my cookbook for tons of festive and easy-to-make gluten-free treats! From Valentine's Day and Easter to the holiday season and every celebration in between, this book has got you covered.
For More Gluten Free Chocolate Recipes, Try My...
Flourless Chocolate Cake - Gluten Free, Eggless
- 1 cup (170g) semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- ⅓ cup (75g) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup (191g) unsweetened applesauce
- ⅔ cup (133g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (42g) cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer mixed with 2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8" springform pan and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate with the butter, working in 30 second intervals and stirring between each interval.
- Add all ingredients into the melted chocolate and butter mixture, and stir until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30-32 minutes. Allow the cake to cool completely, then chill in refrigerator for about 2 hours before removing and serving.