These gluten free apple cider donuts just taste like Fall! The cinnamon sugar topping is not to be missed.
Okay, I think this might be one of my favorite recipes that I've shared with you here so far. I know that's a bold statement, because everything here is delicious 😉 I make sure of it before I share with all of you!
BUT you know now that I love this time of year. And one of my favorite things to have in the Fall is apple cider.
Apple cider also always makes me think of one of my favorite Fall activities. The local botanical garden here usually puts on an evening with Poe in October. A theater company performs various Poe pieces, with each performance taking place in a different part of the garden, so you're free to roam and choose which ones to attend.
It all happens after dark, of course, so the performances are lit by candlelight and best enjoyed with hot apple cider.
My sister and I had a blast the last time we went, and while that may not be in the cards this year, hot apple cider definitely is... and so are these gluten free apple cider donuts.
There's just something so cozy about these baked donuts, and I can't wait for you to try them and tell me how you liked them!
Why You'll Love These Donuts...
- The flavors are just perfect. You really do taste the apple cider, but then the cinnamon sugar topping comes in and elevates these donuts to the next level.
- They're baked, so not only are they easier (in my opinion) than fried donuts, you'll also feel better about eating them!
- No mixer needed! We'll stir everything up by hand, and it really only takes a few minutes overall.
What You'll Need...
- The dry ingredients: flour + baking powder + baking soda + salt.
- The flavor: sugar (though not much at all; the apple cider will add more than enough sweetness) + cinnamon + apple cider.
- For eggless donuts: unsweetened applesauce + Greek yogurt (both also help make these donuts super soft and moist).
- The fat: a tiny bit of melted butter.
- The topping: a bit more melted butter + cinnamon + sugar.
How To Make...
To make these gluten free apple cider donuts, I always start by whisking my flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Then, in a larger bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients together. Next, just add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until it all comes together and you have a nice, light batter.
Transfer the batter into a couple of greased donut pans. Bake on 350ºF for 12 minutes, or until the donuts feel springy when you lightly push your finger down on them. Let the apple cider donuts cool in the pans completely before adding your topping.
When the donuts are ready, you'll want to melt some butter in a small bowl and, in a separate small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and sugar. Dip each donut in the butter first, then in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Tips For Making The Best Gluten Free Apple Cider Donuts...
- As always, one of my top tips is to use a scale to weigh your flour, if possible. This is the best way to ensure accuracy! Too much flour will yield an entirely different texture in the end. We'll want 222 grams of flour for this recipe.
- When it comes to filling your donut pans, you can use a piping bag to pipe the batter in, or you can just use two spoons. Whatever is easiest for you!
- For dairy-free apple cider donuts, go ahead and use your favorite non-dairy butter and yogurt. I haven't tested it, but it should work. Just be sure the yogurt you are using is similar in texture and fat content to regular Greek yogurt.
- You can use homemade applesauce and/or apple cider, if you'd prefer. I think that would add an extra delicious touch to these donuts!
Did you make my gluten free apple cider donuts? Leave me a comment below or tag me on Instagram @justastastyblog and #justastastyblog!
For More Gluten Free Apple Dessert Recipes, Check Out My...
Baked Apple Cider Donuts - Gluten Free, Eggless
- 1 ½ cups (222g) gluten free flour blend
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup (66g) granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup (64g) unsweetened applesauce room temperature
- ½ cup (120ml) apple cider room temperature
- ½ cup (112g) Greek yogurt room temperature
For the cinnamon sugar topping:
- 4 tablespoons (56g) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease donut pans.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar with the melted butter, then add the applesauce, apple cider, and yogurt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Spoon or pipe the batter into prepared donut pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Allow donuts to cool in the pan before removing and adding cinnamon sugar topping.
For the cinnamon sugar topping:
- Melt the butter in a small, microwave-safe bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon together. Dip each donut in the melted butter, then in the cinnamon sugar mixture.