These baked cinnamon donuts are such a cozy and comforting treat, especially when enjoyed straight out of the oven!
Regular readers know, my donut pans get a ton of use. I was skeptical when I first ordered them, but it's safe to say I'm totally hooked. Gluten free baked donuts are my jam!
Cinnamon sugar is such a classic donut flavor, in my opinion, so it was only a matter of time before I attempted to whip up a gluten free version. And boy am I glad that I did.
These baked donuts are soft and cakey. They're easy to make. And they're topped with cinnamon sugar. The donuts themselves are not overly sweet, because I knew I wanted the topping to really shine through.
So what are you waiting for? Grab your donut pans and head to the kitchen, because I can guarantee you will want to enjoy these cinnamon donuts for breakfast with a big cup of coffee.
Why You'll Love These Donuts...
- First of all, they are just SO easy. If you've made any of my baked donuts before, then you know. You probably already have everything you need to make these donuts.
- Few things are better than cinnamon sugar. Am I right? So when you sprinkle some of that dreamy goodness onto warm cakey donuts, it's completely irresistible.
- You don't even need an electric mixer for this recipe. Everything is mixed up by hand. Told you: easy!
What You'll Need...
- Gluten free flour blend - my go-to is Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1, but any cup for cup blend will work.
- Baking powder & baking soda - both will give these cakey donuts some nice lift.
- Cinnamon - adding just a pinch to the donuts in addition to the topping.
- Salt - balances out all of the sweetness.
- Sugar - keeping it light since the topping is so sweet.
- Plain Greek yogurt - I typically use 0% or 2% but any plain Greek yogurt will work.
- Whole milk - keeps these baked donuts moist.
- Melted butter - cool slightly before mixing into the batter.
- Vanilla extract - adds some lovely flavor to these donuts.
- Melted butter + sugar + cinnamon - for that irresistible topping!
How To Make...
To make these cinnamon donuts, we'll start by combining the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk it up and set it aside for now.
Next, grab a larger bowl and add the sugar, yogurt, milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Use a rubber spatula to mix that all up until it's fully combined. Then add the dry mixture right in and mix.
That's really all there is to it! Spoon or pipe the donut batter into your greased donut pans, then bake on 350ºF for about 12 minutes. You'll know the donuts are done when they are slightly golden and spring back when pushed down with your finger.
While the donuts are cooling, melt some butter and, in a shallow bowl, mix together the cinnamon and sugar. Dip each cooled donut into the butter first, then into the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Tips For Making The Best Cinnamon Donuts...
- As always, I highly recommend using a scale to weigh your flour. This is the best way to ensure accuracy, as not all gluten free flour blends are created equal. Too much flour will really affect the texture of your donuts. We'll need 222 grams of flour for this recipe.
- You want to make sure your ingredients are room temperature, including the melted butter.
- When it comes to transferring the batter to your donut pans, you really have to just find what works for you. I like using two spoons to scoop the batter in, but some people find piping to be much easier.
- To make these cinnamon donuts dairy-free, you would need to swap out the butter, milk, and Greek yogurt. I haven't tried these substitutions. I'd recommend trying soy milk and using a non-dairy yogurt that is similar in richness and texture to Greek yogurt. Let us know in the comments if you try it!
Did you try my baked cinnamon donuts? Leave me a comment below or tag me on Instagram @justastastyblog and #justastastyblog!
For More Gluten Free Donut Recipes, Try My...
Cinnamon Donuts - Gluten Free, Eggless
For the donuts:
- 1 ½ cups (222g) gluten free flour blend
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup (67g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (225g) Greek yogurt room temperature
- ¼ cup (60ml) whole milk room temperature
- 3 tablespoons (42g) unsalted butter melted and cooled to room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease donut pans and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, yogurt, milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Spoon or pipe the batter into prepared donut pans. Bake for 12-14 minutes. Allow donuts to cool in the pan before removing and adding topping.
- Melt the butter in a small, microwave-safe bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon together. Dip each donut in the melted butter, then in the cinnamon sugar mixture.