These vegan pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are unbelievably soft and bursting with both pumpkin and rich chocolate flavor! This is the perfect fall treat.
It's no secret that I love pumpkin. Although I already have a super soft pumpkin cookie recipe here on this blog, you simply cannot have too many gluten free pumpkin cookie recipes!
One big difference is those pumpkin cookies are topped with cream cheese frosting, while this one is packed with semisweet chocolate chips.
Which brings me to my next point: how good is pumpkin and chocolate together?! Seriously, it's a combination that you may not immediately think of but it's just so good. Case in point: my easy pumpkin bread.
So that brings me to this recipe right here. I really, really think you are going to love these pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. And I can't wait to tell you how to make them -- so let's get to it!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Did I mention that they're super soft? Well, can I say it again? These cookies are seriously THE softest and so thick, too.
- The flavors just work so incredibly well together. Between the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and chocolate... it's beyond good.
- They're easy and I guarantee no one will know these are gluten free AND vegan.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Gluten free flour: My favorite gluten free flour blend is Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1. If you're using a different flour, make sure it contains xanthan gum. You can also use AP flour if you're not looking to make these gluten free.
- Pumpkin pie spice: This spice is easy to find at most major grocery stores. If you have trouble finding it, you can always make your own blend.
- Oil: I tend to use canola oil in this recipe, but you can use vegetable oil and even melted coconut oil could work (although I haven't tested this).
- Brown sugar: I recommend light brown sugar here but you can use dark brown if that's all you have on hand.
- Canned pumpkin puree: Be sure you're using 100% pure pumpkin puree, NOT pumpkin pie filling, which has added sugar and other ingredients in it.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: I used mini chips here, but you can use regular chips, morsels, even chocolate chunks!
STEP ONE: This is such a straightforward and easy drop cookie recipe. Start by combining all dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk it up and set it aside for now.
STEP TWO: In a separate bowl, stir the oil with the granulated and brown sugars.
STEP THREE: Now add in the next few ingredients: pumpkin and vanilla extract. Give it a good mix to combine.
STEP FOUR: Add your dry ingredients right in, and mix again until a soft cookie dough forms.
STEP FIVE: Fold in the chocolate chips. Make sure they're nice and incorporated!
STEP SIX: Cover the dough and pop it into the refrigerator to chill for an hour (or more). When it's ready, scoop out the dough and arrange on a lined baking sheet, a couple of inches apart.
STEP SEVEN: Bake on 350ºF for 12-14 minutes. The cookies might still look too soft, but it's important to take them out at this point. Allow them to set and cool on the baking sheet for about 15 minutes before attempting to remove them.
- I always mention this in my posts, and for good reason. It's my #1 baking tip! If you have a scale, you really should be weighing your flour. This is the best way to ensure accuracy, and too much flour can really mess with the texture here. We'll need 222 grams for this recipe.
- The chill time is important here! It will help keep these cookies from spreading too much, resulting in a perfectly soft and thick pumpkin cookie.
- I always like to scoop out cookies that are on the larger side, about 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie.
- While I've indicated 12-14 minutes as the bake time in this recipe, I recommend checking in at the 12 minute mark, because every oven is different. The cookies will look soft and not quite done, but trust me: you don't want to over-bake. The bottoms will be slightly golden. They'll continue to set up as they cool on the hot baking sheet.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Did you try my gluten free pumpkin chocolate chip cookies? Leave me a comment below or tag me on Instagram @justastastyblog and #justastastyblog! And don't forget to subscribe to get new recipes directly in your inbox.
Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 ½ cups (222g) gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ cup (60ml) canola or vegetable oil
- ½ cup (100g) light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (113g) canned pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (85g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt together. Set aside.1 ½ cups (222g) gluten free flour blend, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil with both sugars until smooth. Add the pumpkin puree and vanilla extract and stir to combine.¼ cup (60ml) canola or vegetable oil, ½ cup (100g) light brown sugar, ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar, ½ cup (113g) canned pumpkin puree, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.½ cup (85g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out chilled cookie dough and arrange on the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 12-14 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make sure you are using 100% pumpkin puree, NOT pumpkin pie filling.
- This recipe was updated in October 2022. The original recipe was not vegan and called for 4 tablespoons of room temperature butter instead of oil.
Related Recipes To Try
Note: this recipe was updated in October 2022. The original recipe was not vegan, and called for 4 tablespoons of room temperature butter instead of the oil.
Great Recipes. Thank you! 👍