This perfect air fryer French toast without eggs is the BEST weekend breakfast! It's quick, easy, and beyond delicious.
Let me start by saying, we are huge fans of breakfast in this house. Not ashamed to admit that sometimes (often) we have breakfast for dinner. And we love going out for a good brunch.
But sometimes you just want to stay in on a lazy Sunday morning. And that's where this air fryer French toast recipe comes in.
If you have an egg allergy, breakfast can be tough so I wanted to add an eggless French toast recipe to my collection that's Just As Tasty!
Why You'll Love This Air Fryer French Toast...
- It's quick! Rather than spending all morning in the kitchen, you can whip this air fryer French toast up quickly and enjoy breakfast with the fam.
- The possibilities truly are endless. You can top your toast off with butter and maple syrup, of course, but you can also add berries, bananas, homemade whipped cream, powdered sugar... get creative!
- Making this French toast in the air fryer means it's perfectly caramelized and crisp. It just feels like such an indulgent breakfast.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions...
- Gluten free bread: To make gluten free French toast, you'll need to grab your favorite gluten free bread. I used Cook's Sourdough. It goes without saying, if you're NOT on a gluten free diet, you can use any bread you'd like in this recipe. Brioche, sourdough, or white bread work great for French toast.
- Whole milk: The milk is going to give us that nice crisp coating without eggs. I wouldn't go low-fat here, use whole milk if possible.
- Arrowroot: The secret ingredient! Arrowroot thickens the milk mixture slightly, which is also important when making eggless French toast. You can use cornstarch as a 1:1 substitute for arrowroot.
STEP ONE: In a shallow dish, whisk the milk, arrowroot, cinnamon, vanilla, and splash of heavy cream together until it's fully combined.
STEP TWO: Grab your sliced bread and use a fork to dip both sides of each slice in the milk mixture.
STEP THREE: Prep your air fryer. Spray the air fryer basket lightly with nonstick oil spray or line with parchment paper.
STEP FOUR: Transfer the soaked bread to the air fryer basket. Air fry on 400ºF for 5 minutes, then flip each slice of bread and air fryer for another 2-3 minutes.
- You want your toast to be soft going into the air fryer. I mention this because the gluten free bread I used needs to be refrigerated or frozen and, as such, it can get pretty hard. Leave it out at room temperature until it's soft.
- Depending on how big your air fryer is, you may need to work in batches. It's important to not overcrowd the basket, and you want to arrange the slices in a single layer so that they're not overlapping at all.
- My favorite spray to use in the air fryer is olive oil spray. You really don't want too much here, just enough to lightly coat the basket so that the bread doesn't stick.
Frequently Asked Questions...
Yes, you should be able to substitute your favorite non-dairy milk here.
Yes! Wrap the French toast individually in plastic wrap, then place in a zip-top bag.
How To Store...
It may go without saying, but French toast is best when served immediately. However, if you find yourself with leftovers (hard to believe), I would cover them with foil or plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. Then just re-heat on a skillet before enjoying. It won't be the same, but it will still be good.
Related Recipes You Might Like...
Perfect Air Fryer French Toast (Eggless)
- 1 cup (240ml) whole milk
- ½ tablespoon arrowroot
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- splash heavy cream
- 6 slices gluten free bread
- In a shallow dish, combine the milk, arrowroot, cinnamon, vanilla, and heavy cream.1 cup (240ml) whole milk, ½ tablespoon arrowroot, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract, splash heavy cream
- Working one at a time, dip each slice of bread in the milk mixture, using a fork to flip and coat both sides.6 slices gluten free bread
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with nonstick spray, or line with parchment paper. Arrange slices of bread in a single layer in the basket. Air fryer on 400°F for 5 minutes, then flip each slice and air fry for another 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Whole milk works best, but you can substitute with non-dairy milk for dairy-free French toast.
- If you are not on a gluten free diet, feel free to use any sliced bread you like.
- If your gluten free bread is refrigerated or frozen, be sure to thaw at room temperature until it's soft.
- As with any French toast recipe, stale bread works best.
- Calories are calculated based on gluten free sourdough bread. This will vary depending on the bread that is used.